Within 8 hours
- Carbon monoxide levels drop in your body.
- Oxygen levels in your blood increase to normal.
Within 48 hours
- Your chances of having a heart attack start to drop.
- Your senses of smell and taste start improving.
Within 72 hours
- Your bronchial tubes relax, making it easier to breathe.
- Lung capacity increases.
Within 2 weeks to 3 months
- Blood circulation improves.
- Lung function increases up to 30%.
Within 6 months
- Improved symptoms such as coughing, stuffy nose, fatigue and shortness of breath.
Within 1 year
- Your risk of smoking-related heart attack is cut by 50%.
Within 10 years
- Your risk of dying from lung cancer is reduced by 50%.
Within 15 years
- Your risk of dying from a heart attack is the same as someone who never smoked.